Sunday, March 20, 2011

Stopgap #1

I think I've bumped my head against a writer's block over the past week and a half, and it hurts like a migraine.

So then what's the point of this post?

Simple. I need a little something to break this "hiatus" of mine while I prepare my next round of personal blog entries.

But to prove it, I'm gonna give y'all the inside track behind my writing process. I can't just sit down and write a final draft of a post from beginning to end in that strict fashion. I write in the manner of a sporadic impromptu. After I write a few good lines (or even just one good line), I get up from my chair, walk around for a minute, and I resume writing again. I repeat until I'm done with the final product, bored to tears, stuck in a rut, or need to go to sleep.

Take this post for instance. It took me twelve hours from the time I stared at a blank computer screen until I put the finishing touches on this juggernaut of a piece. I literally did nothing else that was productive during that time. But I didn't sit there the whole time writing. I ate, took care of business, and watched my fair share of ESPN programming. At the end of the day, I was gassed and didn't want to write anymore. In fact, save a quick rehash on the Tampa Bay Rays' acquisition of Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez, it took me nearly a week before I had another quality post up.

In all, I try my best to have some original content/commentary up a few times a week. I write in bunches, with the occasional dry spell when I've got nothing ready but plenty of ideas floating around. And as I've mentioned at least once before, I am a full-time student first and foremost. I have other duties and commitments that warrant my time and focus more so than this "hobby" of mine. I also know that I don't have a loyal following (I don't think I've got any following), so this (first) disclaimer will, for the most part, be disregarded as a waste of space. No matter.

For those of y'all who actually read this and have stayed 'til the end, thank you. To commend your patience, I'll let y'all in on a few posts I have in mind. By the end of next month, I pledge to have a piece on a hot-button issue that has evolved over the years, another on the greatest French import since the Statue of Liberty, and another on one man's improbable journey to a burger milestone.

Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment