Thursday, March 17, 2011

Every Day Should Be St. Patrick's Day

Today is St. Patrick's Day, and I don't care.

It's not that I dislike the Irish, nor the Catholics, nor the debauchery that inevitably follows, or even the color green.

It's just that this holiday doesn't instill a fervent sense of pride in me than it does in some other people. I'm fine with that. But don't think for a second that I can't appreciate this day for what it truly is – a blessing of life.

On average, there are 365 days in a year, and it's amazing how many of them are taken for granted. 'Cause when you think about it, every day is always someone's birthday or a holiday to be celebrated. We simply tend to find new ways to belittle it's existence instead of living fully for what that day has to offer.

Don't believe me? Think about tomorrow or yesterday. Are those days any less special than today just because they don't follow a centuries-old tradition? It shouldn't. Every day should be St. Patrick's Day because that's the only way it'll get people to view the time from dawn to dusk and back to dawn as a unique experience waiting to be enjoyed. And before y'all know it, the whole world will become completely inebriated and people like this guy won't have anything to complain about.

On second thought, maybe it's best St. Patrick's Day comes just once a year... but I hope y'all get my point.

Today is March 17, and I do care.

No comments:

Post a Comment